On 15 October 2016 at 01:01, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:

>> 2.) Sometimes I have a very simple repeat pattern, say, part A repeats
>> four times.
>> The only difference is that the third time "c2." gets replaced by "c2
>> c4" somewhere in the middle due to an additional syllable in the
>> lyrics.
>>
>> a) What's the correct way to visually represent that? Drawing the full
>> c2. plus some additional c4 in parenthesis at the end? How do you type
>> it in? Or "c2(c4)" with a potentially dashed tie/slur/whatever that is
>> called.
>>
>> b) How does one get a correct MIDI file? I can imagine writing
>>
>> aa = {...}
>> ab = { c2. | }
>> ac = { c2 c4 | }
>> ad = {...}
>> aA = { \aa \ab \ad }
>> aB = { \aa \ac \ad}
>> melodyMIDI = { \aA \aA \aB \aA }
>>
>> and slightly different approach for engraving to fake proper visual
>> appearance, but I'm sure there must be a more straightforward way with
>> some "if this is the third time of repeating this segment, do
>> something different for this one single note".
>

> I'm not familiar enough with vocal scores to know the standard practice in
> for this circumstance.
>
> For instrumental music, one approach I've seen is to display both rhythms
> using parallel voices and add text to instruct the performer when to play
> each variation.
>
> I'm not sure how nicely this plays with lyrics.
>
> \version "2.19.15"
>
> aa = { g'2. 2. 2. }
> ab = { c'2. | }
> ac = { c'2 4 | }
> ad = { b'2. 2. }
>
> bothVariations = <<
>     { <>^\markup { \column { "1st, " "2nd &" "4th X" } } \ab } \\
>     { <>_"3rd X" \ac }

Thank you very much for the example. I compiled it, but the output
doesn't look too appealing to me.

But you gave me the idea how to do it with two voices. For the visual
part I decided to use something like the following:

    <<
      {
        <g es'>2.~ |
        <g es'>2. |
      }
      {
        s2. |
        s2 \parenthesize f4 |
      }

That is: misuse parallel voices, use as much skip as necessary and add
a note inside parenthesis. There is no need for an explicit
explanation of when that additional note is needed. If the lyrics
stands below the scores, it's clear which one needs an additional
syllable.

Mojca