Hello all,

I am a new user of LilyPond and so far have found it to be a great tool. It is
relatively easy to learn (at least the basics), free and extensive.

May I suggest an added feature: An option to stack additional note beams for
shorter note values on the opposite side of the first beam, that is, stacking
up (or down) away from, instead of toward, the note head.

I ran into this problem when transcribing Bach's double violin concerto using
LilyPond.

This is the bar (31) in the manuscript:

[cid:9b5e704f-57ea-4303-a1b6-85c7b6f3b376]

Specifically the issue is with the 2nd and 3rd (c & d) notes into the bar:

[cid:78da67db-956e-426a-9c10-ac2ec1e02d07]

Attempting the usual stem direction changes and manual beaming results in this:

[cid:3140f8dd-91e4-4abc-90bf-f3b40c80d3ea]

The 16th note beam collides with the c and d note heads!

I have not found how to correct this. However, a feature that would simply
allow that the diminutive note value beams stack down away from the note head
would fix this very neatly. To further demonstrate: I will change the 16th
notes in the bar to 32nd notes:

[cid:32410ce8-bd8e-4a2a-876c-e4e6ea467660]

For every halving of the note value an additional beam is stacked up going up
toward the note head. In such circumstance as the above examples demonstrate it
would be ideal that those beams would stack going down away from the note head,
toward the bottom of the staff, exactly what is done in the handwritten copy.

If anyone knows or finds a work-around to this, please share.

Regards

- F.M.