I'm currently using ABC notation for all of the score examples on my
website and converting it to notation using abcm2ps. I have run into a
limitation with it and need something more flexible. However I still wish
to use a textual notation and do not want to hand edit images as this would
make things much harder to change in the future.

In order for lillypond to be a viable option I need some custom symbols,
the most critical being the Irish roll symbol, which is an arch, like a
fermata without the dot.  I've seen that lillypond can use snippets of
postscript, however I do not want to learn postscript just to get this
finished. Is it possible to define these externally, such as an svg file,
and include them?

I am discussing the different ways of notating the finger articulations
used in Irish and other trad music so cannot substitute the symbol. Note
that an Irish roll and a turn are not the same. It would be useful to
define a number of other symbols, including the ones used in Grey Larson's
whistle notation.