Hi Karlin

"Unclear documentation can be improved. Need a reference for it,
though; where was this found?"

I'm talking about the following page:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/ties-and-slurs.en.html

The page states:

"A slur is a curve drawn across many notes. The starting note and
ending note are marked with ( and ) respectively. "

To me this says that a slur should be written (g b d g), with the
first note inside the slur. That would align with ABC notation which
I'm more familiar with. Instead the correct syntax should be:

g (b d g)

I'd modify the explanation as follows:

"A slur is a curve drawn across many notes. The starting note and
ending note are marked with ( and ) respectively. The opening paran
should be placed after the first note of the slur, and the closing
paran should come after the last note. For example: g (b d g). "

Personally I prefer the syntax used by ABC notation, with all notes of
a slur inside the parans, but I don't see it being changed at this
point.