> The example looks pretty clear to me.  "marked with" is not really
> synonymous with "surrounded with" in my book even though it could be
> more explicit about just how the marks are supposed to be made.

If I misinterpreted it you can guarantee that other people are also
doing so. The documentation is full of vagueness like this which will
almost certainly be frustrating and putting off newcomers. Always be
explicit.

It will make sense to you because you are used it it, if you are
familiar with something you will not see the problems with it.