On 08/09, liebre...@grossmann-venter.com wrote:
> You are right, the snippet is public domain and I rather follow that path
> than getting involved in mysterious MIT licenses.

There's nothing particularly mysterious about the license. It is not a copyleft
license, so unlike the GPL it does not ensure that the code will remain free
when redistributed, but it is still a freedom-respecting license.

If anything, "public domain" is unclear (when referring to copyrightable works
whose copyright has not expired). Copyright is automatic in countries that
signed the Berne Convention. Different countries have different processes for
relinquishing one's copyright. In some countries it's not possible at all.
"Public domain" could informally mean that the author simply does not intend to
enforce their copyright, or it could mean that they have formally given up
their copyright in one or more countries, which is not useful information
unless we know which ones.