14. August 2019 12:21, "David Kastrup" <d...@gnu.org> schrieb:

> "Urs Liska" <li...@openlilylib.org> writes:
>
>> 14. August 2019 11:55, "David Kastrup" <d...@gnu.org> schrieb:
>>
>>> "Urs Liska" <li...@openlilylib.org> writes:

> People write music theory texts with other typesetters than LaTeX.
> People even write music with other typesetters than LilyPond. The more
> font information is routed via the fonts proper, the easier it also
> becomes for LilyPond itself to utilize other fonts rather than to rely
> implicitly on working with Emmentaler.

I think you're basically right with everything here. But I think that does
*not* call for updating Emmentaler with kerning pairs but rather for finally
making Emmentaler (and LilyPond) SMuFL compliant by
- storing the glyphs in the SMuFL-defined code points
- providing them with SMuFL compliant metrics
- make LilyPond look them up the SMuFL way and using the metrics (which
probably differ from the current ones)

With that in place LilyPond's fonts may more generally be used, and LilyPond is
more likely to be able to use third-party fonts too.

Urs