On Wed, 2023-12-13 at 11:12 +0100, Sebastian Käppler wrote:
> Any help on this would be appreciated, I'm a bit lost now where to
> start.

A good place to start is a minimum working example.  I can't help debug
this, but I put together a minimum working example that shows the
problem.  Maybe someone with better scheme can spot the problem.

With liilypond v2.20 there is no issue.  With lilypond v2.23.3

Preprocessing graphical objects...
programming error: Trying to interpret a non-markup object: #f
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Trying to interpret a non-markup object: #f
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Trying to interpret a non-markup object: #f
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Trying to interpret a non-markup object: #f
continuing, cross fingers
Finding the ideal number of pages...

newnames =
#`(
  ("c" . "cee")
  ("d" . "dee")
  ("e" . "eee")
  ("f" . "fff")
)

germanNoteNames =
#(lambda (grob)
   (let* ((default-name (ly:grob-property grob 'text))
          (new-name (assoc-get default-name newnames)))
         (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'text new-name)
   (ly:text-interface::print grob)))

melody = { c d e f }

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff { \melody }
    \new NoteNames {
      \override NoteName.stencil = #germanNoteNames
      \melody
    }

  \layout {}