I am having trouble using Kaiti for Chinese text.

Back in January I got it to work. For context, please see the below and

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2026-01/threads.html#00295.

For some reason, the Kaiti font files have moved to another location on my
machine since January. I am not sure why. I did not do anything to move
them.

Today I ran the following command in Terminal:

find / -name "*Kaiti*" 2>/dev/null

The .ttc results include:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FontServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Fonts/Subsets/Kaiti.ttc


/System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FontServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Fonts/Subsets/Kaiti.ttc


/System/Volumes/Data/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FontServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Fonts/Subsets/Kaiti.ttc

But I am not able to add Kaiti to LilyPond.

Please see the attached MWE.

How can I get LilyPond to typeset text in Kaiti again?

Gabriel


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Gabriel Ellsworth
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2026
Subject: Re: Typefaces for Chinese
To: Lilypond-User Mailing List <[email protected]>


If those captions are text, you should be able to copy the lot in one drag
> and paste them into Terminal, or an editor buffer.

Thank you for the suggestion! In brief, this worked. I selected one icon in
Font Book, then Command-A (to select all), then copied and pasted the
selected content into Terminal.

Most of my Chinese fonts, it turns out, live in this very obscure folder …

System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_Font8/

… which I never would have found by searching within Finder. Only by
“pasting the icons into Terminal” was I able to ascertain the file paths.

I went to LilyPond and added

#(ly:font-config-add-font
"/System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_Font8/88d6cc32a907955efa1d014207889413890573be.asset/AssetData/Kaiti.ttc")

#(ly:font-config-display-fonts)

and compiled my file. The log .txt output included some Kaiti results.

So now

  \override LyricText.font-name = "Kaiti TC,"

is working!

Attachment: Kaiti Trouble.ly
Description: application/frescobaldi-ly

Reply via email to