Thanks for thinking about it, Colin.

I do use updateStage (my example that you cite below shows it), but without puppetting, the sprite that is reported to have a bitmap member assigned to it displays its previous text member instead. Similarly, the sprite that reports its visibility as true is in fact invisible--although the visibility button in the Score and the Object Inspector claim that it is visible.

S.