>I need to script a wait command so that the playback head stop on a certain
>frame or sprite for a certain amount of time without using the tempo
>channel. Can anyone help?

Sure. If you're using D8, use a timeout object. Something like this (untested)

-- in a  movie script
global gPause

on prepareMovie
    gPause = FALSE
end prepareMovie

--in a frame script
global gPause

on exitFrame
    if gPause = FALSE then go the frame
end exitFrame

-- in a handler attached to a button or something
global gPause

on mouseUp me
    gPause = TRUE
    timeout("bideaWee").new(5000, #goAhead, me)
end mouseUp

on goAhead
    gPause = FALSE
end goAhead

Check out the New() function in the D8 help. If you're using D7, you can
use the timer.

Cordially,
Kerry Thompson
Sr. Interface Engineer