On 29/03/2016 9:39 AM, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
On 28/03/16 09:15, Tom Worthington wrote:

The most interesting aspect of Mark Gregory's article in the Business
Spectator is the idea of the NBN satellites being used to provide
broadband for passengers on Qantas aircraft. It seems reasonable for
taxpayers to buy a satellite for outback kids education, but not for
business class passengers watching in-flight movies:
http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2016/3/21/technology/does-nbn-need-third-satellite

And outback Netflix?
It could be argued that advances in video technology will soon exceed the capacity of radio-frequency broadcast. Providing sufficient bandwidth for video could become an imperative sooner than most of us might have thought.

I recently read that adding high dynamic range to ultra high-definition exceeds the 25 Mb/s target of the NBN. Netflix (I think it was) is already offering some series in HDR UHD.

Our government inherited plans for satellites dedicated to service. With the change of government, profit evidently takes priority. No doubt the Qantas deal is lucrative.

--
David Boxall                         | "Cheer up" they said.
http://david.boxall.id.au            | So I cheered up and,