On 04/04/16 14:04, JanW wrote:
At 01:53 PM 4/04/2016, Karl Auer wrote:

So I'm not knocking video "compression". But I do think people should
know what they are paying for.
Here's a different angle on chosen compression. The new 7Flix channel is using
MPEG4. My HD tv doesn't do MPEG4, evidently just MPEG2. The racing channel also
uses MPEG4, so I can't see that video either. I can hear both.

My Kogan STB manages7Flix, so I can watch via that and/or record on it. But if
I want to record some other channel and watch 7Flix on my TV, I can't.

So why did 7 network choose this? I know I'm not alone. I found out that it
wasn't by reading the Whirlpool thread on it.

They're using MPEG-4 because it has a better compression ratio, meaning they can fit more channels into the same RF transmission bandwidth.

When we first got digital TV each station had their primary and their HD, like 7 and 7 HD. Then they've added additional channels over time like 7 Two, 7 Mate, shopping channels, and now the racing and 7Flix. ABC has ABC1, 2, 3 and News 24. They added more channels initially by reducing the quality of each, and now by using the superior MPEG4 for some.

ACMA started discussion about MPEG-4 transmissions in 2012.

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/lib410179/ifc3-3012_technical_evolution_of_digital_terrestrial_tv_in_aust.pdf

The wikipedia article shows which channels are using MPEG-4 so far:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_digital_television_channels_in_Australia

And Nine estimates most people have MPEG-4 decoding ability already:

http://www.mediaweek.com.au/nine-is-broadcasting-its-channel-in-hd-but-not-for-everyone/

Hamish