“No Return to Business as Usual”

Forty global mayors issue a call for a healthy, equitable and a sustainable
economic recovery to this pandemic.

London, 07 May - Mayors from many of the world’s most powerful cities have
warned that the recovery from COVID-19 “should not be a return to ‘business as
usual’ - because that is a world on track for 3°C or more of over-heating.”

https://www.c40.org/press_releases/taskforce-principles

Today’s announcement comes after a series of virtual meetings attended by more
than 40 mayors, demonstrating how they are working together globally to
overcome both the coronavirus and climate change crises.

Statement endorsed by the mayors of Los Angeles, Athens, Austin, Barcelona,
Bogotá, Boston, Buenos Aires, Chicago,  Copenhagen, Curitiba, Durban, Freetown,
Hong Kong, Houston, Lima, Lisbon, London, Medellín, Melbourne, Mexico City,
Milan, Montréal, New Orleans, New York City, Oslo, Portland, Quezon City,
Rotterdam, Salvador, São Paulo, San Francisco, Santiago,  Seattle, Seoul,
Sydney, Tel Aviv-Yafo and Vancouver.

Global Mayors COVID-19 Recovery Task Force

The Task Force will establish a common framework that all of C40’s global
membership can use to create a "new normal" for city economies; agree upon
concrete measures they can put in place for recovery; how to communicate about
the climate crisis in a post-COVID-19 world; and how can they influence
stimulus packages and interventions to support the necessary transition to a
more sustainable, low-carbon, inclusive and healthier economy for people and
the planet.

“COVID-19 has laid bare the systemic inequities too often found at the heart of
our communities -- and as we start to emerge from this crisis, we must rebuild
an economy that truly works for everyone,” said C40 Chair and Los Angeles Mayor
Eric Garcetti. “Our C40 statement of principles will provide a framework for a
fair recovery -- a sustainable and equitable vision that lifts up our most
vulnerable residents and advances the work of our Global Green New Deal.”

Statement of Principles:

The COVID-19 pandemic has profoundly impacted the world’s cities. It is not
just a global health crisis, but a social and economic crisis. In many ways it
is also an urban phenomenon, with its roots in environmental destruction and
humanity’s relationship with nature. It is, in part, a consequence of the
undermining of international mechanisms and institutions which were built to
bring peace and prosperity to all. It is, in part, a consequence of ignoring
science-based knowledge.

We, as leaders of major cities across the globe, are clear that our ambition
should not be a return to ‘normal’ – our goal is to build a better, more
sustainable, more resilient and fairer society. Therefore, our joint strategy
to support the recovery of our cities and their residents from COVID-19 will be
governed by these principles:

+ The recovery should not be a return to ‘business as usual’ - because that is
a world on track for 3°C or more of over-heating;

+ The recovery, above all, must be guided by an adherence to public health and
scientific expertise, in order to assure the safety of those who live in our
cities;

+ Excellent public services, public investment and increased community
resilience will form the most effective basis for the recovery;

+ The recovery must address issues of equity that have been laid bare by the
impact of the crisis – for example, workers who are now recognised as essential
should be celebrated and compensated accordingly and policies must support
people living in informal settlements;

+ The recovery must improve the resilience of our cities and communities.
Therefore, investments should be made to protect against future threats –
including the climate crisis – and to support those people impacted by climate
and health risks;

+ Climate action can help accelerate economic recovery and enhance social
equity, through the use of new technologies and the creation of new industries
and new jobs. These will drive wider benefits for our residents, workers,
students, businesses and visitors;

+ We commit to doing everything in our power and the power of our city
governments to ensure that the recovery from COVID-19 is healthy, equitable and
sustainable;

+ We commit to using our collective voices and individual actions to ensure
that national governments support both cities and the investments needed in
cities, to deliver an economic recovery that is healthy, equitable and
sustainable;

+ We commit to using our collective voices and individual actions to ensure
that international and regional institutions invest directly in cities to
support a healthy, equitable and sustainable recovery.