I recall that the UTS developers at Amdahl noticed something similar.  I think that VM
gives hot machines higher priority.  If I recall correctly they made the VM aware
version of UTS run hot just to improve response times.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Poole [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 1:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: URGENT! really low performance.

On Thursday 13 February 2003 16:09, Alex wrote:

 -the hmc indicates that the ifl is at 99% utilization.

Our HMC on the z900 always shows 99% for the IFL, even if it's not
doing anything substantial.  Running a CPU hot all the time was an
old performance enhancing trick I remember from the 4381 days.  I
can't recall why, though.  The RTM numbers give a better reading.