> and the time went from 1m3.6s to 1m2.039s in the better case, the
> people from ibm (they are here yet) can give me an answer about the
> poor performance (i consider that its a poor performance, because a
> intel piii 128Mb RAM make the tar in about 28s), so i really dont know
> if this is the real performance of linux under vm, if we are doing
> something wrong, or what, when we bought the z800 they said that with
> this configuration we will be able to run about 200 virtual machinnes,
> maybe thats a fairly dream?

Alex:

You have to remember that gzipping a file is a compute intensive
function. The z800 IFL is about 660 MHz (or close to that). You don't
specify the MHz for the Intel system.

Also, when IBM talk about running 200 virtual machines did the specify
the workload? Where Linux on zSeries shines is running lots of LOW
utilization systems. We often see Windows file and print servers running
below 5% utilization. I have passed your note to the IBMer responsible
for Linux in Latin America to make sure the right resources are put on
your problem.

Regards, Jim