On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Fargusson.Alan wrote:

> I recall that the UTS developers at Amdahl noticed something similar.
> I think that VM gives hot machines higher priority.  If I recall
> correctly they made the VM aware version of UTS run hot just to improve
> response times.

Depends on what you mean by 'hot'.  VM does provide a capability to give a
priority boost to an interactive user.  But Linux guests without the timer
patch will never be able to take advantage of this because VM cannot
determine the 'interactiveness' (the guest is always busy, so it's always
in Q3).  QUICKDSP will not help, and indeed may cause more problems later
on as you start more Linux guests.

Back to the original question, refer to Mark's comments regarding relative
performance of CPU-intensive applications.

Alex, I'm concerned about the amount of memory you've allocated to the
guest.  If your intention is really to run the 200 guests that IBM is
telling you you can, it will be impossible to do so with each guest being
given 1GB central.  IBM is right, the config could support 200 guests or
more, but you will need to become much more frugal with storage allocation
in order to do it.

Cheers,
Vic Cross