On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Jim Sibley wrote:

> I find it amusing that the the Unix purists are defending a 1950's type
> line editor (with input and command mod) designed for a teletype keyboard
> and paper roll output then converted to the glass teletype equivalent. The
> keyboards on teletypes were notoriously slow, heavy to the touch, and the
> line speeds were so slow that they were desparate to find any method to
> speed up the transmission (ctl/alt modifier keys), no matter how awkward!

command-mode has some other atvantages: command-history. vim (for example)
uses this in a very useful manner.

> That this has  been enshrined on Linux is certainly short sighted. The only
> reason I use vi is that 1) it is much the same on each *NIX system, 2) and
> it is reasonably compatible with the ex editor and sed for HMC and 3270
> terminals, so I don't have to relearn an editor everytime I change terminal
> type.
>
> Its just as amusing that the 1970's technology of the 80 column card,
> transfered on the 3270 glass tube was enshrined on MVS as ispf and VM as
> xedit. Neither of them work very well for long, variable length "records"
> such as a long /etc/parmfile line. And its beyond annoying when xedit
> translates my parmfile to ALL UPPER CASE by default. The "case m i" command
> is NOT intuitive. At least ispf prereads the data and sets the mode to
> something reasonable, but then its pretty bad at dealing with something
> past 80 bytes. Vi has sense enough to wrap the lines.
>
> What really is needed is a simple editor that is a more intuitive and
> universal, rather than arguing whether the 3270 implementations are better
> or worse than the teletype implementations.

But there are plenty of those! (pico^H^H^H^Hnano and joe are nice two.
relatively intuitive). But both will show garbage on a 3270 terminal...

> Maybe someone could come up with a simple Java editor that will work the
> same on HMC, 3270, and teletype terminals! Its an editor guys - we
> shouldn't have to read a 3 inch manual to make it work!

No. most unix text editors use termcap/terminfo to get information about
the capabilities of the terminal . Most of them use the library ncurses
for terminal "graphics", some use slang.

I saw that there is a terminfo entry of "ibm327x" . When I tried to use it
pico (sorry, that is the only ncurses program I have at my disposal at tha
machine) blantly refused:

'ibm327x': I need something more specific.

I tried some other 'ibm*' entries, all of them were accepted, but I got
all sorts of different garbages: the escape sequeces were clearly not
interpreted by the terminal.

Is there any way to get proper termcap/terminfo entries working? (e.g:
avoid the need for "unalias ls"?)

Or is any general solution in this path needs to be more radical (e.g:
some specific support inside ncurses for 3270 terminals? I don't know
terminal devices very well)

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]