I find it amusing that the the Unix purists are defending a 1950's type
line editor (with input and command mod) designed for a teletype keyboard
and paper roll output then converted to the glass teletype equivalent. The
keyboards on teletypes were notoriously slow, heavy to the touch, and the
line speeds were so slow that they were desparate to find any method to
speed up the transmission (ctl/alt modifier keys), no matter how awkward!

That this has  been enshrined on Linux is certainly short sighted. The only
reason I use vi is that 1) it is much the same on each *NIX system, 2) and
it is reasonably compatible with the ex editor and sed for HMC and 3270
terminals, so I don't have to relearn an editor everytime I change terminal
type.

Its just as amusing that the 1970's technology of the 80 column card,
transfered on the 3270 glass tube was enshrined on MVS as ispf and VM as
xedit. Neither of them work very well for long, variable length "records"
such as a long /etc/parmfile line. And its beyond annoying when xedit
translates my parmfile to ALL UPPER CASE by default. The "case m i" command
is NOT intuitive. At least ispf prereads the data and sets the mode to
something reasonable, but then its pretty bad at dealing with something
past 80 bytes. Vi has sense enough to wrap the lines.

What really is needed is a simple editor that is a more intuitive and
universal, rather than arguing whether the 3270 implementations are better
or worse than the teletype implementations.

Maybe someone could come up with a simple Java editor that will work the
same on HMC, 3270, and teletype terminals! Its an editor guys - we
shouldn't have to read a 3 inch manual to make it work!

Regards, Jim
Linux S/390-zSeries Support, SEEL, IBM Silicon Valley Labs
t/l 543-4021, 408-463-4021, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*** Grace Happens ***