Hello from Gregg C Levine
That's decidedly very interesting. And yes, I sympathize with you, as
well. But here, I have gotten a GUI to work on my Slackware Linux
setup. Each time, it has been either a native X-Windows, or that of
KDE, or once, or twice Gnome.

Yes, it is difficult. Tux, wants everything perfect, when we choose to
run a GUI. But not impossible. There are scads of books out there,
that explain how to set such a GUI up. I haven't found a good solution
for one thing, and probably won't, as a matter of fact.
And Gnome is more particular about how things are setup. The system
needs a root password, even when it is a single user system that is
being setup. Just my opinions here folks. And only working, in NYC.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

Of
> Fargusson.Alan
> Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 11:45 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] Gnome
>
> I sympathize with you.  I tried to get Gnome working on an iMac and
a G4
> Macintosh, with SuSE Linux.  Both were failures.
>
> I didn't have any success with KDE either.
>
> I think this is the main reason people still use Windows.  It is
just to hard to get GUI
> working on Linux.
>
> On the up side, my new Dell with Windows/XP has been working for
months
> without a single crash.  I am running MacOS X on the G4 now, but I
am about to
> give up on it.  The Dell is actually working better for me. Also
some of the software
> I use is not available for the Mac.  It isn't available for Linux
either of course.  I was
> using Virtual PC, but that was much to slow for me.  For some reason
Visual C is
> very slow on VPC.

MySQL or