Recovery is only as good as the language framework allows it to be.  Compilers
insulate you from the data and the hardware, and reduce your level of control over how
errors are handled.

But that's part of what you're buying by using a compiler in the first place:  Not to
have to worry about all those "little details".

Assembler programs have access to interrupt exits that allow recovery routines to get
control.  An infinitely smart programmer could conceivably write enough code to fix or
recover from ANY failure,
but how many of THOSE are there?  And who writes in assembler anymore anyway?