On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:06:02PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> Pentium II 350 or thereabouts.
>
> Red Hat insists on assorted GUI tools for configuring stuff. To my
> mind, if you're not going to use them, there's not a lot of point to RHL
> over anything else.
>
> Mine was not a default install, but it was based on my standard
> (kickstart) that worked moderately well on RHL 7.x on similar machines.
>
> To use the RH tools, you need GNOME librariies. Dislinking recent GNOME,
> I install KDE. If I want a GUI on a server, I'm inclined to FVWM which
> has a much lighter footprint, and is much harder to recofigure. I don't
> think you want people recofiguring the desktop on servers.

Redhat doesn't include it, but IceWM is my recommended lightwieght
desktop. Very usable. Not much to configure. WindowMaker that comes with
RedHat is not so bad, either, BTW. I don't think they ship fvwm.

(As for fvem: check fvwm-themes. A "theme engine" for fvwm written
mostly in fvwm macros. Makes fvwm configuration much easier)

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+