Here's the response I got from Suse on my question about Bastille:

many thanks for your enquiry to SuSE S/390 support.

You wrote:

> As part of our evaluation of SLES8 as an internet-facing platform, I attempted
> to run the RPM-provided "bastille" against our standard-build server.
> [..]

Unfortunately, we do not support Bastille for several reasons. The main
one is, that it is trying to enforce its own permission settings to
several components beyond our control. We simply do not know for
sure what it is doing.

However, SuSE Linux has its own permission control scheme which
can be configured through

   /etc/sysconfig/security

with different sets of parameters in

   /etc/permission*
   /etc/permission.d/*

(the reference to "rc.config" should be "/etc/sysconfig/security"
in the comments)

You can set the permissions by running "SuSEconfig" or
"chkstat -set ..."

> Executing File Permissions Specific Configuration
> Bareword "chkstat" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at
> /usr/lib/Bastille/FilePermissions.pm line 306.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a security checking program that does
not even declare its functions properly... On the other hand,
they are running it in strict mode at least. YMMV, though.

Best regards,

         Joerg Reuter (S390 Support <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
         SuSE S/390 Professional Services-Team