From: James Tison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 10:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Websphere on Linux

As soon as I'd heard about it, I went to go research it as best I could.
Personally, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. I was hoping for
better.

AFAIK, this is all public domain knowledge; but I'm going to stay away from
details that I fear might not be -- I like my job. Usual
disclaimer: I don't officially speak for IBM here -- I am not connected with
Java, z/OS, or zSeries hardware development as a matter of my job.

The zAAP is just a normal zSeries CPU dedicated & managed by the OS (z/OS
V1R6+ only, as the poster below points out) to Java tasks. It provides no
known performance benefit on a side-by-side address space comparison
relative to a normal zSeries CPU. The zAAP does NOT implement any new
hardware/mcode instructions to support JVM execution. As always, whether or
not the zAAP will benefit you will depend on your workload, and this is
where I have to stop.

Contact your IBM account representative if you'd like to see the tech sales
support materials; or if you have any speculative-level questions you'd like
answered.

Regards,
--Jim--
James S. Tison
Senior Software Engineer
TPF Laboratory / Architecture
IBM Corporation
"If dogs don't go to heaven, then, when I die, I want to go where they do."
   -- Will Rogers

Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 05/14/2004 10:10:06:

> Can somebody theow some light on this zAAP processor ?
>

> Franz Josef Pohlen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 05/14/04 07:37 PM
>
> Please respond to
> Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> Re: Websphere on Linux
>

> Hi,
>
> the zAAP processor will only work with zos 1.6 and above, - nothing
> else
.,
> coming in september, I believe. The problem is that even IBMers ask
> themselves, which customer will need this. IBM has told everyone to
> consolidate his applications on zlinux using its really good internet
> capabilities. They have developed dozens of connectors to the data
> components on zos (DB2, CICS, IMS etc) Now they tell them to run
websphere
> applications on zos with zAAPs. I would prefer zlinux on IFLs using
> hipersockets for communication to zos, because I think linux is the
better
> unix than USS on zos and will get even better in future development of
hard-
> and software.
>
> FJ

for
> > some reason. But, then, it might be better to just get an IFL.
> > Except
that
> > zAAP, I think, could be shared with z/OS and/or z/VM whereas an IFL
cannot
> > be.
> >

> > --
> > John McKown
> > Senior Systems Programmer
> > UICI Insurance Center
> > Applications & Solutions Team
> >
> > This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
information
> > intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its' content is
> > protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should
> delete
> > this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
> > or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action based on
> > it,
is
> > strictly prohibited.

> > -- For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> > send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO
> > LINUX-390
or