The 342x is too old to respond with any sense data telling its device
characteristics. It would require a driver where you could hard code the
values before it would work.

                                               To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                               cc:       (bcc: Michael Short/Towers
Perrin)
                        "Hodge, Robert         Subject:  Re: Linux for zSeries 3420
Tape driver
                        L"
                        <robert.l.hodge
                        @lmco.com>
                        Sent by: Linux
                        on 390 Port
                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                        ARIST.EDU>

                        06/16/2004
                        03:11 PM
                        Please respond
                        to Linux on 390
                        Port

Mark,
I made the determination by looking at the code and by experimenting. I
attached a 3422 tape drive to a Linux guest at virtual device 181,
attached a 3490 tape drive at virtual device 182, and entered "modprobe
tape390 tape=181-182" on the Linux system. After the modprobe, the
contents of /proc/tapedevices is:

TapeNo  DevNo   CuType  CuModel DevType DevMod  BlkSize State   Op
MedState
1       0182    3490    10      3490    40      auto    UNUSED  ---
UNLOADED

And under /dev/tape there is only a 0182 device.

The driver found the 3490 tape drive, but not the 3422 tape drive.

Robert Hodge