Why doesn't IBM sell you a device - call it a Linux co-processor, (really an Intel
chip in a box) to attach to the mainframe to offload your java and other high cpu work
onto;)  Obviously I'm joking, but it just seems to me the phrase different horses for
different courses seems to apply in spades here.  Mainframes are good for somethings
and cheap Intel boxes are good for others.

I think Paul Murphy hit it on the head a long time ago when he concluded that you
could do Linux on the mainframe, but why, unless you like to spend a lot of money for
less performance than you could get by buying a Sun or Intel Linux box for a lot less.
 Sometimes you need highend horsepower rather than lowend torque.  Java and most
business workloads designed post year 2000 will tend to eat CPU and ram like candy and
that will always favor small cheap fast boxes over large slow expensive ones in all
but the most mission critical apps.