I am reviewing z/VM Version 5.1 âGuide for Automated Installation and
Serviceâ installation instructions in preparation of our VM server for
Linux. We requested z/VM on a DVD. We are currently running an IBM 2066-002
and this is our first exposure to VM, being z/OS gurus, and Linux newbies.

On page 70 of the manual, under heading STEP 1. Load the RAMDISK from the
Processor HMC, step 2, it talks about the Integrated 3270 Console. We do
not have this option. Why? How do we get it? An excerpt follows:

On the Hardware Management Console, bring up an Integrated 3270 Console for
the LPAR you are using to install.
      a. From the Hardware Management Console Workplace window, double
      click on Groups.

      b. From the GROUPS WORK AREA window, double click on CPC IMAGES.

      c. From the CPC IMAGES WORK AREA window, highlight the LPAR on which
      you are going to install.

      d. From the CPC RECOVERY window, double click on Integrated 3270
      console. The Integrated 3270 console window is displayed, which is
      where the messages are displayed when the system IPLs.

We do not have any 3174 controllers for our z/VM LPAR. Will we require any?
Once we find this Integrated 3270 Console, can we use that?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Peter E. Abresch Jr.
Pepco
202 331-6889

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any
copies.  PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory
or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal
right by Email communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect
of such communications.