From: Alan Altmark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 12:51 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VIPA and hot standby

On Tuesday, 12/07/2004 at 09:57 CST, Alan Schilla
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi, I have been looking over the list for an example of what I wish to
> > accomplish but have not seen this particular config. I am running SLES
8
> > under zVM 4.4. I have installed VSWITCH with 2 vswitch controllers in
case
> > one fails or I must take one down. These are associated with 2 gige
> > OSA-Express each connected to a separate Cisco 3550 running HSRP. This
> > gives me a hot standby switch in case my primary Cisco fails. I want
> > extend this to WAS edge servers under linux where 2 linux guests are
> > running edge server. If the primary were to fail the second or
secondary
> > would automatically pick up the inbound requests. I have been told to
use
> > vipa. How do I configure the duplicate addresses? How does linux
> > "heartbeat" between the 2 servers and identify the loss of the
primary?
> > How does the secondary "giveback" when the primary returns? Would I be
> > better off to load-share and use DNS round-robin against duplicate
servers
> > rather than hot standby?  Are there any SHARE docs or other
documentation
> > that give an example of how this is configured?
> > Thanks For Your Help,

VIPA won't help.  Tivoli Systems Automation for Linux will.

VIPA protects your users from server network or adapter failures.  It
doesn't address application redundancy.  Systems Automation for Linux
provides server failover using heartbeats and STOMITH (shoot the other
matchine in the head) technology.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott