From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Peter E. Abresch Jr. - at Pepco
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 4:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux /tmp and /var housekeeping recommendations

I was planning to perform some housekeeping cleanup on a regular basis for
/tmp by including the following command in a cron:

find /tmp -atime +30 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 rm

I was going to do the same for the /var directory and got to thinking that
maybe I will get more than I bargain for. What is everyoneâs opinion about
removing all files that have not been accessed in 30 days for directory
/var? Am I being over zealous?

What about directories? Should I remove empty directories within /tmp and
/var using a command like?:

find /tmp âempty -type d -print0 | xargs -0 rmdir

I welcome all comments. Thanks.

Peter

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any
copies.  PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory
or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal
right by Email communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect
of such communications.