On Wednesday, 03/16/2005 at 10:09 CST, Phil Howard
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But there is still missing documentation info.  Is there a specific NAME
> that is accessed in the /tapes directory?  Or is it like EL TORITO and
> it stores which name somewhere in the ISO header blocks?
>
> Or does someone have a small ISO image that can be booted that I can
> dissect and perhaps get the needed info?

Sorry for not being clear.  The ISO images have no idea of the tape file
names.  They just issue READ CCW's to a tape drive.

The mapping to file name occurs completely within the tape emulator.  It
has a "cursor" that moves byte-by-byte through the files listed in the
TDF.  If you rewind the tape and IPL from it, the first 24 bytes from the
first file listed in the TDF area read in and control is transferred to
the loaded channel program.  That program continues to read from the tape
starting at byte 25.  Whether that's the same file or the next file in the
TDF is transparent to the channel program.

The different files that make up a CD can be in any directory on the CD.
It is the TDF that specifies the files.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott