On Monday 04 April 2005 01:16 pm, Rich Smrcina wrote:
> No.  The pricing is not based on the number of engines in an LPAR,
> it's based on the number of engines of a particular type running a
> particular workload.  In your scenario you would need three engines
> worth of Oracle AND Websphere AND UDB regardless of the configuration
> of IFLs and LPARs. If you want to run any part of that configuration
> on your standard engines, you would need to add ALL of those engines
> to the licensing requirements as well.

...which brings us around to Vendor negotiations.  I doubt if any of the
software products Tom mentioned could make use of 6 or even 8 of the
available CPUs, let alone all 32.  As part of your licensing
negotiations, you configure the Linux instance with the number of CPUs
it can use, which should be the basis of your licensing issues.  If you
want 2 CPUs, you buy 2 licenses.  Sure, we're back on the honor system,
but Vendors are capable of arriving at equitable solutions when
properly approached.  After all, in the world of Linux, there are
alternatives to just about every product, and nobody wants to lose a
customer.