From: Yu Safin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 3:19 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Question for Oracle shops

On 10/24/05, Tom Duerbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just been working on Oracle 10g under SLES9.
>
> I have been looking over at the Oracle website on their Discussion
> Forums.  I didn't see anything that was zLinux (i.e. mainframe)
> specific.
>
> So I started doing some searches to see how much discussion there was
> on zLinux (nothing under installation, except for my post), and I
> started wondering....
>
> Where is everyone else getting help in the Oracle-zLinux world?
>
> The Linux390 discussion group  (here)?
> The Oracle website?
> Someplace else?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom Duerbusch
> THD Consulting

Tom:
It has been a night mare trying to install Oracle 10g under Linux for z-Series.
No RPM is available.  The java based program to install Oracle uses
CPU cycles and memory like they are going out of style.
Oracle can't find its modules because it doesn't know about lib64 and so on.
It is amazing that we pay for Oracle when MySQL drops in place so easily.
The IBM RedBook is vague.
In short, now I know why Oracle DBA's are paid so well.
have you had any success installing?
would you be willing to share your experiences in a how-to?
we run SLES 9.