From: James Melin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 10:10 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Having Linux tell VM that it has shutdown correctly

I know there is an interface to have VM tell Linux to shutdown. Is there a
good way to have VM be told that a guest is shutdown and can be logged off?

Our VM people have just given the Linux 10 minutes to respond to a shutdown
command. If you're not down, tough.  Mostly this seems to be enough time
but occasionally one of our WebSphere guests is not all the way down and
then the file system gets wonky or some such and repair must be done.

I was thinking perhaps with CPINT or something a more two way handshake
thing can be done.