On Dec 15, 2005, at 4:18 PM, Tom Duerbusch wrote:

Now that we have an IFL, and have Oracle running on it (no one in
applications has ever tried to connect to it yet, but they have
only had
it for 2 weeks now), they are asking for an Oracle Application Server.
Which I don't think runs on an IFL.  They same group also talks
about JBoss.

OK...

My impression is that JBoss is similar to Websphere as it runs Java
programs in a shared environment (like CICS runs traditional compiled
code programs).

Yeah, pretty much.  JBoss is a lot lighter weight than WAS.  Never
used OAS.

You probably don't want to be running all these on the same Linux
image, if you have a choice.  It would of course be better to get
your groups to standardize on a *single* J2EE web services framework,
but that's not gonna happen.

Then, a discussion of Oracle AS starts raising its head.

Is there are things Oracle AS can do, that JBoss (or Websphere)
doesn't?
Why would you use one over the other, and in what situations?

Your app developers wrote to one rather than the other.

Is all this really projected to run on a single engine?  Because
ain't none of 'em really lightweight.

Adam