On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Fargusson.Alan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Most placed I know of put multiple applications on one Linux.  This is true
> even on Intel.  It usually happens because once you have a Linux system you
> can add applications to it without having to buy another server, as opposed
> the Windows world where adding a second application causes the first one to
> break.

Interesting. I often see the opposite with Linux on z/VM: one
application per server.
That may have to do with many Linux on z/VM shops running commercial
(i.e. paid and supported) application software that have their own
specific incompatible software requirements and configuration
settings. And if it would work they would not be supported in one
virtual machine. Change management and testing is also easier.
I could not imagine anyone running TSM, SAP, WebSphere etc all in a
single virtual machine if they have the option to split it up. I think
it is even rare to run multiple WebSphere application servers in a
single virtual machine.

>From a tuning and charge-back perspective, it is often attractive to
run in separate virtual machines. That way you can allocate resources
as required. Even though there is a cost involved in extra virtual
machines and communication overhead, the advantages normally make up
for that.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij