There are a lot of reasons why "it depends" is the correct answer to this
question.

You can definitely reduce overhead on the VM layer by running multiple
applications on a single Linux guest.  When you have a few applications
with a few dozen servers, it may make sense to have one appliction per
server.  When you get to dozens of applications and hundreds of servers, it
makes more sense to put multiple applications on a single server.  Managing
operation of and software on hundreds of Linux guests is no easier than
hundreds of stand-alone servers.  (Although, there is still less hardware
management needed.)

The type of server makes a big difference also.  A database server should
probable support only a single application.  However, web servers are very
lightweight and can easily support many different applications.

Applications that are truly mission critical most likely need to be
isolated to their own servers.  A server that provides common function to
multiple applications should probably have its own server.  (e.g. MQ)

Another factor is business organization.  It might be useful to group
application belonging to one part of your organization on a set of servers.
Servers that belong to a different business unit would be hosted by a
different set of servers.  Think of it like a service bureau.  The Linux
farm is like hosting a service bureau.

____________________________________
Rick Barlow
Senior z/VM Systems Programmer
Nationwide Services Co., Web-zLinux Support,
z/VM and System z Linux Support
One Nationwide Plaza  MB-02-201
Columbus OH 43215-2220   U.S.A
Voice: (614) 249-5213    Fax: (614) 249-3912
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 03/26/2008 12:42:31
PM: