Just a comment that such things may be able to be handled by any current
monitoring agents you might be running.  Nagios?  Omegamon?  It's usually a
good thing to track and implement limit alerts through a central point
withing the current monitoring 'infrastructure'...

Having said that - no matter what kind of agents are running, I often
implement my own check/alert system (simple scripts) for problem machines or
ones I'm really keeping a close eye on.   So - not suggesting they are
mutually exclusive :-)

Scott Rohling