Hi David

You said that if you used dedicated disks, you will now pay for it.
I'm interested in "why you would pay for it"?

Your procedure works the same with dedicated dasd, except instead of linking
the disk, you attach the disks.

Now, if you were thinking LPAR, when then, yes, I agree it is much more
complicated.

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

On 1/21/09 12:02 PM, "tony...@bellsouth.net" <tony...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I would like to know what ways you have used to migrate z/Linux CKD DASD
> volumes from one DASD subsystem to another?  Thanks.

If you used minidisks (the right way, IMHO) then you:

1) Allocate new minidisks on the new array using a knowable pattern, eg if
you have a 150 on the existing guest, allocate a new minidisk at F150 on the
userid. Do this for all the minidisks on that userid.

2) Shut the guest down. You need to do this to get a good copy.

3) From an appropriately privileged ID (MAINT, etc):

LINK guest 150 150 RR      (you don't need/want write access to this volume)
LINK guest F150 F150 MR    (you're going to overwrite this one, so write)

4) DDR the contents of one to the other:

DDR
SYSPRINT CONS
INPUT 150 3390 SCRTCH
OUTPUT F150 3390 SCRTCH
COPY ALL
<blank line>

5) DETACH 150
   DETACH F150

6) Repeat #3 and #4 for all the other minidisks for that userid.

7) Update the CP directory and swap the MDISK definitions for the 150 and
F150 MDISKs (make the old one F150, and the new one 150). Repeat for all
minidisks on that userid. Write the CP directory either by hand or using
your directory manager. If you want, you can just comment the old disks out
in the directory entry in case you need to switch back for some reason.

8) IPL the guest as normal. That id is now running on the new disks.

9) Deallocate the Fxxx disks. If you commented them out in step 8, they are
now free disk space until you overwrite them or reallocate the space.

10) Repeat for all guests.

If you used dedicated volumes, now you pay for it. There is a procedure on
linuxvm.org to do this -- you get to do it the hard way.