This may not be the best place to ask this but I think you will
understand why I am doing things this way.

One of my clients wants to use the 'built-in' SSL support in MySQL. The
latest MySQL supplied by Novell was not compiled with SSL support (why
they don't have SSL support compiled into everything is another problem,
another email thread). So, I went through the Novell website to Patch
Finder, found the latest MySQL, found a link to the SOURCE for that
patch level and downloaded the src.rpm file. I uploaded that src.rpm to
my maintenance server and installed it. The .specs file and the source
(patch and tar files) are where RPM wants them to be. In the spirit of
Mother (What Mother Never Told You), I copied the .specs file to look at
how to change it to add the --with-openssl option. It doesn't seem
difficult. Also in the spirit of Mother (I hope Melinda isn't offend by
this), I tried recompiling MySQL (RPMBUILD -BB command) using the
UNMODIFIED .specs, patch and tar files. After a few rounds of finding
prerequisites, installing and updating with Yast Online Update, I get an
error that doesn't seem to be prerequisite related and is now beyond my
experiences in compiling anything in linux.

I tried contacting Novell. Their support staff says that they do not
support recompiling any source even source obtained from Novell. I am
attaching the end of the output from the RPMBUILD command. I would
appreciate any guidance that can help me get past this and get a usable
binary RPM file that I can install in client servers.

/Thomas Kern
/301-903-2211 (O)
/301-905-6427 (M)

script -c "rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/packages/SPECS/mysql.spec"
test_mysql.log

<snipped from test_mysql.log>
Making all in sql
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/mysql-5.0.26/sql'
d --debug --verbose sql_yacc.yy
make[2]: d: Command not found
make[2]: [sql_yacc.cc] Error 127 (ignored)
if test -f y.tab.h; then \
  to=`echo "sql_yacc_H" | sed \
                -e
'y/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz/ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ/' \
                -e 's/[^ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ]/_/g'`; \
  sed -e "/^#/!b" -e "s/Y_TAB_H/$to/g" -e "s|y\.tab\.h|sql_yacc.h|" \
            y.tab.h >sql_yacc.ht; \
  rm -f y.tab.h; \
  if cmp -s sql_yacc.ht sql_yacc.h; then \
    rm -f sql_yacc.ht ;\
  else \
    mv sql_yacc.ht sql_yacc.h; \
  fi; \
fi
if test -f y.output; then \
  mv y.output sql_yacc.output; \
fi
sed '/^#/ s|y\.tab\.c|sql_yacc.cc|' y.tab.c >sql_yacc.cct && mv
sql_yacc.cct sql
sed: can't read y.tab.c: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [sql_yacc.cc] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/mysql-5.0.26/sql'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/mysql-5.0.26'
make: *** [all] Error 2

RPM build errors:

Script done on Tue Jan 27 16:43:11 2009