Thanks to all who replied with suggestions.

Yes, it's not about being cool, or going boldly where others fear to tread,
but rather making people less cranky about password maintenance.

In my environment, all zLinux users are also VM/CMS users. They have a
userid on VM and the same userid on zLinux. The password complaint I hear
most often is... Why can't they be the same? Why do I have to change it in
both places?

Seems like a CMS LDAP solution for zLinux to use fits the bill nicely. Users
may continue to change their VM password in the ol' familiar ways, and that
immediately affects the zLinux password. zLinux password maintenance goes
away. Users less cranky, me more happy. :-)

In many cases, zLinux access is via the IBM Toolkit from a Windows desktop,
so users are pretty sheltered from zLinux.

And no, in our case we don't have a single, central respository of
userid/password for all systems.... different departments have and manage
their own. Separation of duties, or unnecessary duplicated effort? You
decide. :-)

Cheers,
Donald Russell