As part of the racf section, enable tcp/ip services to use racf (i.e. appendix
a of the tcp/ip planning manual).

Chris Will

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Michael
MacIsaac
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:41 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: More words on "The Virtualization Cookbook" Redbook residency

Hello lists,

Thought I'd blog a bit more on "The Virtualization Cookbook" residency.
The first week we got a z/VM ESP system installed in a 2-node SSI cluster.
We defined an IDENTITY (aka an MCVM) named LNXADMIN with the system on one
member being focused on RHEL and the other on SLES (addressing the
distributions alphabetically :)). We got Linux systems installed and customized
on the two IDENTITYs and also "golden images" installed on USERs (aka SCVMs).
We're addressing the "clone vs. build" question with the answer "the customer
is always right". That is, you can clone with scripts that may be Linux or
z/VM-based or you can build (e.g. Kickstart and AutoYAST). We will address the
existing open-source appliances (Web server, Samba server, LDAP server,
Application Development server) and may add others.

Monday we got DirMaint, SMAPI and RACF enabled and customized.  RACF was, let's
say "challenging", but the steps in the existing book, (on
http://www.vm.ibm.com/devpages/mikemac/CKB-VM62.PDF ) worked. Yes, near the
end, for both members, you have to IPL from the RES volumes, but set the common
volume 1 on the SAPL screen and still use extent 1.

Today starts work day 8 of 20 and we still have many items "on our plate"
that we'll try to address (I had mentioned some of these earlier):
-) A "private interconnect"
-) Multipathing of FCP/SCSI disks
-) z/VM HYPERPAV
-) AutoYast on SLES
-) Beef up Monitoring chapter including MONWRITE data
-) Address VIR2REAL EXEC
-) Kiwi on SLES
-) Beef up "z/VM Live Guest Relocation" chapter
-) Add section on z/VM "LOGON BY" for audit trails
-) Beef up RACF section
-) Add a section on the "Linux Terminal Server"
-) Add a CRON Service Virtual Machine for z/VM
-) Define command-specific z/VM privilege class
-) ???

Any more suggestions or comments of what else you'd like to see in this book?

"Mike MacIsaac" <mikemac at-sign us.ibm.com>

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/

The information contained in this communication is highly confidential and is
intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom this communication is
directed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information is
prohibited. Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any
unintended receipt and delete the original message without making any copies.

 Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network of Michigan are
nonprofit corporations and independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue
Shield Association.