From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:53 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: SLES12 - yast does not create a udev rule

>>> On 11/10/2015 at 08:08 AM, "Davis, Larry (National VM Capability)"
<larry.dav...@hpe.com> wrote:
> I have the same problem with Network and DASD devices that I add, I am
> not sure of the proper procedure but I had to add the network device
> to the Rules files in
>       /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

That file doesn't have anything to do with activating network interfaces.  It
just helps make sure the names are consistent across reboots.

> I have also had to add rules for each new DASD device so it is
> available after an IPL  or reboot

The "proper" procedure to get udev rules created is to use YaST,
dasd_configure, or qeth_configure.  All of those should create the necessary
udev rules, and update /boot/zipl/active_devices.txt so that they are not in
the cio_ignore list when booting is complete.  YaST will also re-run mkinitrd
to make sure things get put into the initrd that are needed there.

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/