On Monday, 05/02/2016 at 05:40 GMT, Scott Rohling
<scott.rohl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I should have said after logging on to OPERATOR --  issue SET SYSOPER
> OPERATOR before the #CP DISC.   It hopefully got set to SYSOPER itself
but
> this makes sure.
>
> To explain -- if OPERATOR is logged off - the next lucky guest with the
> right level of CP classes (A,B, etc) gets set to SYSOPER and now
> essentially can only run CP commands.    Many shops run something
regularly
> to check of OPERATOR is down or SYSOPER is not set to OPERATOR and
correct
> it.       Bottom line:   Keep OPERATOR logged on at all times - only use
> #CP DISC to end the terminal session.   It is important that OPERATOR is
> available to receive system messages and keep a console log...

This happens because people don't avail themselves of the PRIV_CLASSES
statement in SYSTEM CONFIG.

   PRIV_CLASSES
      OPERATOR   O

Then add class O to OPERATOR and the other user IDs that you would like to
be able to automatically become the system operator (if OPERATOR isn't
logged on).  This prevents the somewhat erratic assignment of the system
operator, given the number of users who have class A.  This does not
affect the user of SET SYSOPER.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323