(sighs)  Been There, Done That...

[NOSTALGIA]
Picture it, a military contractor in the MID-1980s:

On one short-lived contract gig there were something like 70 programmers
and FIVE terminals.  There was always a line to access the terminals.  This
was frustrating...  and this was the mid-1980s.  I commented that, should
the Soviet Union had nuked the site, it would have set our defense efforts
ahead at least 10 years.  One of the other contractors told me the site was
actually much "better" than some other work-sites he'd been on, so hitting
one of those other would have set us ahead 15 years.  He commented "more
like 25".

(I have made the same kind of observation about Hurricane Charley during
the post-Columbia stand-down, had the hurricane struck KSC and damaged the
shuttles "enough".)

I got desperate to make progress...  and noticed a pool of three keypunch
machines not too far from the terminals.  Oh, I can deal with it!

Mind you, this was a U-1100 (Exec-8, OS-1100) environments...  and I'd had
enough years doing ECL (and, earlier, having experience w/ OS/370 JCL and
the "job control language" of CP-V) and I was comfortable with the SOR
mechanisms so I could apply change decks against an existing file, taking
advantage of the system-provided tools even from a card deck.  Knowing
where the printer and its attendant card reader resided made my life-- and
progress-- a whole lot easier.

Mind you, this was in the mid-1980s.  I'd written a full screen editor to
take advantage of the Uniscope 200 and UTS-400 (and UTS-40) terminals
(@FSED was originally written in NOSC Pascal) and going to a place where I
could not use it worth a damn was, to be frank, an example of culture shock.

Never knock a card deck, even now, for there are probably places firmly
rooted in the distant past where these may be the MOST productive way of
getting work done.

Also, never knock the Irish:  They were the first people to invent a way to
preserve milk without refrigeration!

[/NOSTALGIA]

All right, nostalgic moment ended.  I think.

[HUMOR]
Q:  How many programmers does it take to replace a light bulb?
A:  None.  It's a hardware problem.
[/HUMOR]

Nowadays "programmer" as a simple title has gone away and turned into
"Software Developer" and other, less intuitive titles, though, before
people were programmers, they were logicians.  My finer half had a great
Aunt who's first job title was "computer".  Boys were the I/O system
getting (and replacing) the ledger books so shelves were the DASD of the
early 1900s.

-soup

--
John R. Campbell         Speaker to Machines          souperb at gmail dot
com

http://wiki.linuxvm.org/