Hi Rob,
Sorry for the late reply!
Correct, with a z14 you can use SMC-Dv1 only.
However, Clefos 7.9 is based (or identical to) RHEL 7.9 - which doesn't have SMC support at all! :O To our credit, we did try to backport SMC to RHEL 7.x, but the kernel was just too old, and the dependencies in the code were piling up way too fast. So if if you want to stick with ClefOS/RHEL, you'd need a 8.x release!

As for the smc-tools release, I'd suggest to stick with whatever version your distro provides. This is because most of the new features that a new smc-tools release brings require kernel changes - which usually won't be there, or we would have provided a more recent smc-tools version in the distro.

As for live guest relocation, as far as I know that plain won't work at all as long as there's a PCI function attached to the guest. So you'd have to detach the PCI function first, which would terminate any connection right away. Of course, once migrated, you could start over (attach a PCI function, create new connections, etc.), and that should work just fine.

Best regards,
Stefan Raspl