I have RHEL 7.9 setup (on zVM) so I can use the 3270 console instead of
3215 and it works quite nicely provided the 3270 geometry is 24 X 80.

If the screen geometry is other than that, it’s not usable…. Input commands
are not parsed properly and fail, and of course the output display is a
mess due to the wrong buffer address calculations for sba orders etc.

I detect in near real time when the console reconnects … is there a (linux)
command I can issue that will “shoulder tap” the 3270 device driver to
reread the device characteristics, specifically screen geometry? Presumably
by issuing diagnose 8c or issue the query to the 3270 device “tell me about
yourself”.

I have a udev rule that is trigggered (indirectly) by a reconnect event so
that’s the point where I want to tell the driver “check the 3270 device
characteristics”.

Cheers,
Don

P.S. I’m going to do this on RHEL 8 soon and maybe 9.  I haven’t yet
checked to see if the driver has been updated in those versions.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390