Hi Donald,

Donald Russell <russell....@gmail.com> writes:

> I have RHEL 7.9 setup (on zVM) so I can use the 3270 console instead of
> 3215 and it works quite nicely provided the 3270 geometry is 24 X 80.
>
> If the screen geometry is other than that, it’s not usable…. Input commands
> are not parsed properly and fail, and of course the output display is a
> mess due to the wrong buffer address calculations for sba orders etc.
>
> I detect in near real time when the console reconnects … is there a (linux)
> command I can issue that will “shoulder tap” the 3270 device driver to
> reread the device characteristics, specifically screen geometry? Presumably
> by issuing diagnose 8c or issue the query to the 3270 device “tell me about
> yourself”.

I checked the kernel source, and it looks like Linux has different ways
of figuring out the geometry:

- on VM, it uses a diag120 call. From the device type, it determines the
  geometry. So it can only handle the fixed resolution of the -1, -2 and
  so on models. I haven't found any reference to diag 8c.

- if it's !VM (lpar), it uses a read partition query to figure out the
  geometry. Interestingly though, this also seems to work on VM when i
  force the 3270 driver to use the "lpar mode". I have to ask the VM
  people why that differentiation exists - maybe VM couldn't handle
  the query in former versions. But maybe it's just my limited knowledge
  of 3270 support in VM and Linux, i have never seen a real 3270 :-)

> I have a udev rule that is trigggered (indirectly) by a reconnect event so
> that’s the point where I want to tell the driver “check the 3270 device
> characteristics”.

I haven't checked whether something like 'stty [rows|columns] X <
/dev/3270/ttyX'
works. But with the networking 3270 clients we have nowadays,
resolutions are changing all the time and i guess this wouldn't help
much even if it works.

> P.S. I’m going to do this on RHEL 8 soon and maybe 9.  I haven’t yet
> checked to see if the driver has been updated in those versions.

I tested it with upstream 6.1-rc and was able to reproduce the behaviour
you described. So i don't think you need to test it with RHEL8/9.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390