  Re: "Real Unix" Vs Linux (kernel)

From: WickedDyno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:13:01 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> WickedDyno wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Switzerland and Isreal have even higher rates of firearm ownership.
> > > Not only that..but FULLY AUTOMATIC RIFLES*  and yet, BOTH have lower
> > > rates of death by firearms.
> >
> > Both also require military service and so have a much larger number of
> > people who are highly trained in gun usage and safety.
>
> Which should, by your argument, RAISE criminality, as they all
> criminals know how to shoot straight.

Umm, whose argument?

It would definitely reduce the number of accidental gun deaths.

> > (FWIW, I wouldn't feel unsafe living in such a society, despite the
> > number of guns around.  I do feel unsafe living in a society that has
> > fewer guns but even fewer trained, disciplined gun owners.)
>
> So...bring back the draft.

That brings other problems, at least in our society.

> > > Britain recently outlawed handguns.  Murder rates have tripled since.
> > > Australia outlawed ALL firearms.  Murder rates have quintupled.
> > >
> > > So...quite obviously, the correlation between gun ownership and
> > > murder is tenous at best.
> >
> > Except of course that the issue is correlation between gun ownership
> > and
> > gun-related deaths.

You don't have an answer for that, do you?

--
|          Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu>         |
| SCSI is *NOT* magic.  There are *fundamental technical |

------------------------------

From: WickedDyno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:15:33 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> WickedDyno wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > In other words...negligible.
> >
> > Because you say so?
>
> 3.6 ppb = 0.00036 %
>
> Please explain how a 0.00036% concentration of CFC's is going to
> wipe out a >1% concentration of O3

It's a catalyst.  Catalysts can be present in very small quantities and
still have an appreciable effect on the rate of a reaction.

Argument from personal incredulity just plain doesn't work.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: 18 Sep 2000 22:06:28 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Yannick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:> Sure...just put it in a shutdown script.
:> But...with unix..the utility of shutting down machines is nil.

: It is. It's called saving energy. Unless you have teams working 24h/24h
: 7 days a week.

That calculation is moot. You lose more energy in the lower lifetime of
the disks (it takes a LOT of energy to make one hard disk). Disks fail
when left nonspinning, and when spun up. (This is mostly true of
IDE disks, which are not made to high standards in general, and which
tend strongly to have bearing mechanisms which seize when they
aren't used ...).

Just keep the machine on ... it shouldn't use much energy when the
monitor's off. Besides, my machine is always doing things when I'm
not there ...

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:11:51 -0400

Jason Bowen wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > JS/PL wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > >
> > > Tell me....are you an outcast in high school....
> >
> > No.  But most control-freaks like you guys were losers in high school
>
> Since you failed at a logical argument you make personal attacks.  It is
> delicious watching somebody claiming to be so intelligent falling to
> this level.

No.  I'm merely pointing out that you are clinging to eco-propaganda
because you are a were a loser in high school, and becoming a
control-freak is your chosen route for revenge against all of those
who teased you unmercifully in high school.

How long was it before someone unlocked the locker they stuffed you in?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux Experience
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:21:21 -0400

LILO is really on the Linux partition, even though you "install" it on the
boot block of your primary drive. The mbr is simply a pointer to the
location of the LILO program. If you have trashed the drive on which your
Linux partition (and thus LILO) resides, and you haven't replaced the disk
or restored from a backup, then you need to replace the master boot block on
the primary drive to tell it to boot NT only.

[Note: the following applies to IDE drives; I'm not positive if it's the
same for SCSI, though I can't imagine why it would be different.]

The win-x version of fdisk has a /mbr option or something like that to
restore the boot block of the drive.

If you have simply reinstalled NT, which would replace the mbr and make
Linux and LILO inaccessible, then simply boot linux from your boot floppy
(you DID make one, didn't you???) and rerun LILO to replace the mbr.

--
Rich C.
"Because light travels faster than sound, many people appear to be

news:8q5vr5$dbq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming. (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:13:44 -0400

Jason Bowen wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Jack Troughton wrote:

>produces less CO2
>than is consumed.
>algebra class will help

> > > You really are into silencing dissent, aren't you? I was under the
> >
> > No.  I'm into getting the Ignorami among us to stop spreading their
> > baseless PROPAGANDA.
>
> Bullshit.  You've been proven to be a liar, your claim about not
> attacking first was a lie.  You discredit one of my statments and then
> support it to use it to take other countries to task for that which was
> discredited.  Can't have it both ways.
>

> > > impression that the intellectual foundations of the US system of
> > > governance were all about making sure that people didn't keep their
> > > opinions to themselves.
> >
> > Are you saying arguing that it is good to NOT oppose liars....
>
> You haven't given a source to back up your claims I've noticed, just a
> belief system.

Your Eco-chicken-little scenarios were discredited YEARS ago, little
*BOY*

> > > Pity or contempt... either you are too stupid to argue, or too evil
> > > to argue. Take your pick.
> > >
> > > Jack
> > > Montreal PQ
> > > CANADA

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451800
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:24:44 GMT

Mark Kelley writes:

>>> Would you care if I did?

>> The key word here is "if".  The real question is "can you?"

> Incorrect.  The real question is whether you would accept proof as
> proof.

Incorrect.  The real question is "can you"?

> You have already shown that you will not.

You have already shown that you haven't.

> So why should I bother?

To prove that you can.  I know you can't.  You are thus challenged.

>>> I've seen you stare at incontrovertible proof before and deny
>>> its existence.

>> Yet another example of your pontification.

> No ... it is, rather, a statement of reality.

Where is the substantiation for your alleged "reality", Mark?

>>> You are not intellectually honest.

>> How ironic, coming from the person who just made yet another
>> unsubstantiated claim.

> I see you're still out of ammo.  Well ... at least you're doing the
> best you can.

How ironic, coming from the person out of ammo, thus relying on more
unsubstantiated claims.

>>> It's a game I won't play with you.

>> Then why did you start, Mark?  The above unsubstantiated claims are
>> just that:  your game.

> Why I started is my own business.

Apparently you have something to hide.

> Why you started, and continue, is evidence of mental illness.

You're erroneously presupposing that I started, Mark.  Such erroneous
presuppositions are evidence of your own problem.

------------------------------

From: "Greg Topf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Subject: Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:26:17 GMT

Hmm...dance around and sacrifice a virgin then?  That more appropriate for
him? Silly me, sharing real experience:)

--

Greg M. Topf
MCP+I. MCSE (NT4, Win2k)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:30:28 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm back!  This group has sunk to a new low

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This group is just plain boring these days, I have a break in work for
> about 11 days so I will be posting here, even for a short time.

Thatz beecourze Tymb Palmre yz own hollidaze. Butt ime
stan-digging inn four imb wen leasuire hallows. Dguzt
queepp tooned.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:27:51 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Jason Bowen wrote:

> > > No.  But most control-freaks like you guys were losers in high school
> >
> > Since you failed at a logical argument you make personal attacks.  It is
> > delicious watching somebody claiming to be so intelligent falling to
> > this level.
>
> No.  I'm merely pointing out that you are clinging to eco-propaganda
> because you are a were a loser in high school, and becoming a
> control-freak is your chosen route for revenge against all of those
> who teased you unmercifully in high school.
>
> How long was it before someone unlocked the locker they stuffed you in?

Aaron you are the ultimate bitter pussy.  You've been beaten down, your
college degree resulted in system administration, and frankly usenet
is probably were you get your only sense of empowerment.  Tough talking
usenet poster, what a man.  Here's a dollar, go buy some balls.  Don't
take your failures in life out on others.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:28:51 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Jason Bowen wrote:

>claims
>than

>continent produces less CO2
>more than is consumed.
>algebra class will help

> > > No.  I'm into getting the Ignorami among us to stop spreading their
> > > baseless PROPAGANDA.
> >
> > Bullshit.  You've been proven to be a liar, your claim about not
> > attacking first was a lie.  You discredit one of my statments and then
> > support it to use it to take other countries to task for that which was
> > discredited.  Can't have it both ways.

> > > Are you saying arguing that it is good to NOT oppose liars....
> >
> > You haven't given a source to back up your claims I've noticed, just a
> > belief system.
>
> Your Eco-chicken-little scenarios were discredited YEARS ago, little
> *BOY*

Notice Aarons persists that I am from the left and doesn't provide proof
for his claims.  A stinking pile of shit has more sense than him.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:32:30 GMT

Jason Bowen writes [to Aaron Kulkis]:

> Since you failed at a logical argument you make personal attacks.  It is
> delicious watching somebody claiming to be so intelligent falling to
> this level.

How ironic.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: GPL & freedom
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:40:05 -0000

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 19:34:41 GMT, D'Arcy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 05:01:03 GMT, Zenin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >D'Arcy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>Zenins post hasn't made it here yet... so I'll follow up on
>this one.
>

>> >: BSD - do what you like... including taking away other people freedom to
>> >: view and modify the code.
>
>> > That's just it; The BSD license does not take away any such freedoms
>> > whatsoever.  If you think it does, prove it by making it impossible
>
>Yes it does.  You can get a copy of a BSD licensed bit
>of code, change it, not let anyone see the changes.
>

>> It also doesn't seek to secure them for subsequent users either.
>
>Correct.  THat is what I am talking about.
>

>> > for me to get a copy of 4.4BSD Lite in source form easily and modify
>> > it.  If you can't, you have no argument here.
>
>After I modify it are you guranteed to be able to see the changes?
>No.  It is less "free" (wrt the GPLs idea of "free").
>

>> > This is the bread and butter of your argument against the BSD
>> > license; surely if it holds water at all you should be able to
>> > fulfill this request trivially.
>
>> I severely doubt he's arguing against the BSDl at all.
>
>No I am not... I am just pointing out that it doesn't have the
>same guarantees as the GPL wrt view/modify the code of
>derivative works.  Perhaps I didn't make it clear that I was
>talking about derivative works.

        Different licences have different motivations. Each seek to
        secure certain ends. Also, notions of freedom in general
        are quite often too simplistic to match up well with the
        manner which the universe works. RMS didn't just have an
        ephiphany of zealotry one day. He was faced with certain
        problems that his view of licencing solves.

--

  "I prefer to think that God is not dead, just drunk"
  -- John Huston

  "Confound these ancestors.... They've stolen our best ideas!"
  - Ben Jonson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linsux as a  desktop platform
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:45:06 -0000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:47:01 +0200, Lars Träger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >And both came later than the MS-Mouse. Anyway I wasn't quite right:
>>
>>       Microsoft didn't even have overlapping Windows in 85.
>
>What the *$%& does this have to do with the mouse? Damn, you're just as

        It demonstrates just how "progressive" they tend to be with
        technology. This may or may not apply to a particular bit
        of hardware.

>wiered as Steve Giovanella. The VisiCorp mouse (for PC) also came before
>Atari and Commodore. Its right button was labled "scroll" and it was
>optical BTW. And it had provisions for a third button (you had to get a
>new top).

        Unless you've got a release date handy, that's not well established.

[deletia]

--

  Will the third world war keep "Bosom Buddies" off the air?

  He knew the tavernes well in every toun.
                -- Geoffrey Chaucer

------------------------------

From: kernel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Real Unix" Vs Linux
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:48:50 GMT

>         You are missing out on the halcyon days when UNIX systems were used
> in the better colleges.

You mean the community college where you slogged all night dreaming about finding a
"real job?" Too bad. You couldn't get one. Governement jobs are not real jobs my old
fart friend.

> > The younge and the bright ones are looking at the source, "tinkering" with
> > it and gaining a real insight into Linux. When they graduate, they get hired by
> > the best companies out there.
>
>         Sadly, they do not, my naive young canadian friend.

Yes they do. I work in a Fortune 100 company. You work in a stinky/underpaid government
job.

>         i.e., they reach up from LINUX to UNIX systems when demands are
> beyond the meager ones that PCs can be shoehorned in by the truly
> devoted.

Get on topic you fart. This thread is about Linux and Unix and not about the hardware.
Linux runs and scales well on all hardware that your employer can afford.
And what will that be? <CLUE>

> [...blah, blah, blah...  remainder off-topic LINUX advocacy

> snipped....]

The truth hurts my old fart friend.

>         This newsgroup concerns the administration of UNIX systems, my
> smelly foreign friend.  Get a clue, get on-topic or get lost.  To
> put it in words you may understand, "take off, hoser".

Same to you my smelly-psychotic-foreign-underpaid-old fart friend.
LOL!!!

Kernel