  Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:42:23 -0400

WickedDyno wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > WickedDyno wrote:

> > > Both also require military service and so have a much larger number of
> > > people who are highly trained in gun usage and safety.
> >
> > Which should, by your argument, RAISE criminality, as they all
> > criminals know how to shoot straight.
>
> Umm, whose argument?
>
> It would definitely reduce the number of accidental gun deaths.
>
> > > (FWIW, I wouldn't feel unsafe living in such a society, despite the
> > > number of guns around.  I do feel unsafe living in a society that has
> > > fewer guns but even fewer trained, disciplined gun owners.)
> >
> > So...bring back the draft.
>
> That brings other problems, at least in our society.

> > > Except of course that the issue is correlation between gun ownership
> > > and
> > > gun-related deaths.
>
> You don't have an answer for that, do you?

There is no correlation between gun ownership and murder rates.

> --
> |          Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu>         |
> | SCSI is *NOT* magic.  There are *fundamental technical |
> | reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young goat |
> | to your SCSI chain now and then. -- John Woods         |

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:44:10 -0400

WickedDyno wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > WickedDyno wrote:

> > > Because you say so?
> >
> > 3.6 ppb = 0.00036 %
> >
> > Please explain how a 0.00036% concentration of CFC's is going to
> > wipe out a >1% concentration of O3
>
> It's a catalyst.  Catalysts can be present in very small quantities and
> still have an appreciable effect on the rate of a reaction.
>
> Argument from personal incredulity just plain doesn't work.

Aactually, we know that 03 levels drop significantly in the absence
of sunlight.

We ALSO know that CFC are extremely heavy molecules that really
don't make it into the upper atmosphere.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:45:32 -0400

Jason Bowen wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Jason Bowen wrote:

> > > Since you failed at a logical argument you make personal attacks.  It is
> > > delicious watching somebody claiming to be so intelligent falling to
> > > this level.
> >
> > No.  I'm merely pointing out that you are clinging to eco-propaganda
> > because you are a were a loser in high school, and becoming a
> > control-freak is your chosen route for revenge against all of those
> > who teased you unmercifully in high school.
> >
> > How long was it before someone unlocked the locker they stuffed you in?
>
> Aaron you are the ultimate bitter pussy.

That must be why I'm a highly decorated war veteran.

>                                       You've been beaten down, your
> college degree resulted in system administration, and frankly usenet

I'm clearing $100,000/year.  How about you?

> is probably were you get your only sense of empowerment.  Tough talking
> usenet poster, what a man.  Here's a dollar, go buy some balls.

When was the last time you dodged machinegun fire..wimp.

>  Don't take your failures in life out on others.
>

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >
> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (D) above.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    their behavior improves.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming. (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:46:27 -0400

Jason Bowen wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Jason Bowen wrote:

>claims
>than

>on

>continent produces less CO2
>more than is consumed.
>algebra class will help

> > > Bullshit.  You've been proven to be a liar, your claim about not
> > > attacking first was a lie.  You discredit one of my statments and then
> > > support it to use it to take other countries to task for that which was
> > > discredited.  Can't have it both ways.

> > > You haven't given a source to back up your claims I've noticed, just a
> > > belief system.
> >
> > Your Eco-chicken-little scenarios were discredited YEARS ago, little
> > *BOY*
>
> Notice Aarons persists that I am from the left and doesn't provide proof
> for his claims.  A stinking pile of shit has more sense than him.

If it looks like a duck
waddles like a duck, and squawks duck-nonsense, chances are, it's a
duck.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Unix more secure, huh?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:58:24 -0000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:24:15 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"A transfinite number of monkeys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Oh, you want to compare admins?  You DID read the advisories on NT-Bugtraq
>> about all of the (many) IIS vulnerabilities that are fixable that remain
>> unfixed on over 85% of the machines they tested?
>
>No one was saying anything about NT/IIS. Many were claiming that Unix didn't
>have this problem, which is simply a lie.

        The "lie" doesn't have to be true in order for Unix to be more
        secure than Monoplyware.

[deletia]

--

  He laughs at every joke three times... once when it's told, once when
  it's explained, and once when he understands it.

  The idea of male and female are universal constants.
                -- Kirk, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8

------------------------------

From: "Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:59:33 GMT

"A transfinite number of monkeys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 02:32:15 GMT, Otto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: : : Oh wow.  It cites two vulnerabilities that have had patches available
for
: : : quite some time, all within 24-48 hours after being found.
: :
: : Oh wow, hundreds of systems are compromised on the daily basis with old
: : exploits. Availability means nothing, applying the patch might. It
doesn't
: : really matter how quickly the patch is available, if people don't use
them
: : anyway. All CERT did is, issued a warning about widespread use of old
: : exploits.
:
: So, obviously, it's the operating system's fault.  Let's get real here.

I tend to think that it is the admins/users fault and not the OS's, yeah...
get real.

:
: : That's kind of interesting how a not so good news about Linux can turn
out
: : to be really bad news for Windows (correct spelling). Let's forget the
: : rpc.statd problem and focus on Windows exploits. Linux computers will
still
: : continue to fall pray to old exploits, but that's ok, as long as you can
: : show that Windows OSs are more vulnerable. What a great argument....
:
: My machines most certainly are NOT vulnerable.  Kind of a bit of a hole
: in your argument...

If it is connected to Internet, then it is vulnerable. Your system might be
more protected than others, nonetheless, it isn't fool-proof.

:
: : Every PC on the web gets scanned all the time, regardless of the OS. In
case
: : you didn't know it's done by scripts and the results are recorded for
later
: : use. The IDS is great to indentify the source, but that's about it.
:
: Obviously you don't know anything about modern network intrusion detection
: systems.  The better ones not only have attack recognition built in, but
: also can "respond".  In other words, not only can the IDS *detect* an
: attack, but it can also *respond*, abating the attack condition.  For
: example, you can configure an IDS to nuke a syn flood by sending the
: appropriate packets to the machine that's under attack.  OR, you can even
: set up an IDS to take a retaliatory stance, such as ping flooding someone
: who starts port-scanning you, probably not advisable, but possible.

The very same ping/syn flood can take out your own network also for the
duration of the retaliation. Check-mate comes to mind, not to mention the
fact that hackers can gang up on you and then you are really in trouble. You
won't have a chance to defend a ping/syn flood with the same.

: : Here's a dime, go call yourself....
:
: No thanks, I saved my dime when I got Linux instead of Windows. :)

That's about the size of it.... :).

Otto

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I'm back! This group has sunk to a new low
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:49:31 GMT

> This group is just plain boring these days, I have a break in work for
> about 11 days so I will be posting here, even for a short time.

Translation: The psychiatric pod at the jail is overcrowded, so I got
matrixed out, and the probation office has some new-fangled home
monitoring systems, so now I've got this thing on my ankle till my
pre-sentencing hearing.

> At least we can count on some excitement instead of the boring crap
> that has been going on here.

Translation: The medication is wearing off, too.

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: 18 Sep 2000 23:55:47 GMT

:>:>: On 5 Sep 2000 22:17:14 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>:>:>In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:>:>:>
:>:>:>: Person 7 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
:>:>:>: news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:>:>:>:> On Fri, 26 May 2000 03:16:59 GMT, in comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,
:>:>:>:>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)) wrote:
:>:>:>:>
:>:>:>:> >If you have a sufficiently fast Internet connection and an existing OS
:>:>:>:> >(even one as old as DOS), the only things you'd need to download for
:>:>:>:> >RedHat is 'bootnet.img' and 'rawrite.exe'. :-)  The rest is sucked
:>:>:>:> >in later. :-)
:>:>:>:> >
:>:>:>:> Emphasis on "UN-metered" connection.
:>:>:>:> You should see what I have to pay for my Internet connection.
:>:>:>
:>:>:>: That is why Linux is available through so many channels.  On-line, in
:>:>:>: stores, free with books, etc.  You can pick the method that best fits your
:>:>:>: situation.
:>:>:>
:>:>:>I generally prefer to buy an off-the-shelf copy at a store, for two
:>:>:>reasons:  1 - $50 or so is worth the savings in time (downloading
:>:>:>an entire CD's worth onto hard disk, then burning my own CD from
:>:>:>that is an annoyingly tedious task, and takes up lots of disk space
:>:>
:>:>:   ???
:>:>
:>:>:   Even doing all of this stuff at the commandline is hardly
:>:>:   tedious. There are a plethora of gui tools available for
:>:>:   burning an Image to disc under Linux. Downloading those
:>:>:   images is also not something that can be reasonably called
:>:>:   tedious. It may take a long time. However, that's merely
:>:>:   a matter of having a file transfer dialog open on your
:>:>:   desktop for a few hours.
:>:>
:>:>Errr - "few hours"?  Ever try downloading a 650 Mb over
:> :>:  Mind your grammar. It was not merely the download process
:>:     that you were implying was tedious. Correspondingly, it
:>:     was not merely the download process I was commenting on.
:>
:>Adding more steps to a manual process cannot decrease its tediousness,

:       Burning a CD image is hardly a "manual" process. It's rather
:       equivalent to downloading a picture from the web and using
:       some other tool to print it.

:       Burning a CD ROM, even under Linux, simply isn't a horribly
:       complex process. Anyone that represents it as such is simply
:       LYING.

It's only easy after you've done it several times.  The first
time it's non-intuative.  Here's the steps I had to do:

Find out that the available programs will only talk scsi,
and sit around wondering why the hell everyone keeps claiming
that Linux can use IDE cd-writers.  Read through the howto's,
finding out that I have to use a scsi emulation driver.  Find
out that this means recompiling the kernel - do that, then
find out that I have to tell the IDE driver to stop trying to
take ownership of that device, so that the scsi emulator can
get to it.  Finally I now have it so that it will work with
cd writer software.  Great.  Now go through and fix up the
settings on my other CD software (like the cd audio players)
so they look at the scsi device instead of the ide device.
Then try to figure out why the hell SuSE doesn't run my script
I put in /etc/rc.d/... (I recently switched to SuSE and this
used to work on other distros...)  Still don't know why it
doesn't run my rc scripts, so instead I have to issue the
insmod command for scsi emulation by hand after each reboot.
THEN, after figuring out all that setup, I can issue the simple
little command to burn a CD.

:>it can only increase it.  Therefore a manual process cannot be less
:>tedious than its most tedious component step.  If the download is
:>tedious, then the manual process that contains the download inherits
:>that tediousness.

:       Since when has clicking on "download", clicking OK on the
:       Item Selector, and waiting for the file to finish downloading
:       been a "tedious process".

Perhaps you forgot that I mentioned the 56kb line, and the frequent
disconnects by the staticy phone lines?  I can't just start it
and walk away.

:>The 1200 bps era?  I certainly wasn't sitting around thinking, "gee,
:>I sure wish I could download a Linux distro - too bad it's only 1990
:>and it doesn't exist yet."

:       No, you were probably whining how "big" files were. If you were
:       infact computing in that era I am surprised that you actually
:       made it through.

Bullshit.  I'm not complaining.  I'm simply stating that there can
be good reason to buy a CD instead of doing a download.  Just like
in the 1200 baud days I usually used sneakernet to get files
to and from the university computers because it was faster.  I
didn't complain about it - it just would have been stupid to waste
my time on the download unless the file was relatively small.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:02:53 -0000

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:52:59 GMT, Quantum Leaper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 18:40:25 GMT, Quantum Leaper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> >
>> >"JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,
>> [deletia]

>about
>> >>

>> >The problem is in 1990,  I sure there were 2400 bps,  and I thought 9600
>bps
>> >modems had been out already.    Either way it still way too much for a
>> >regular modem to handle even today,  unless you a few days to spare.
>> >

>> You twits really don't have any clue do you. What makes you think
>> that just because someone has a DS3 that any particular large download
>> will necessarily buzz by at 160MegaBYTES a second. The real internet
>> doesn't necessarily work that way.
>>
>The only twit I see is you,   how long does it take to download a CD on a
>56K?   I started out with a 300 baud modem in 1985.  I have had just about

        No longer than it takes to download the same thing over a DS3
        if any part of the net between you and the files is not up to
        your speed expectations.

>every speed inbetween,  except a 56K modem.  I did have a 56K modem but my
>house phone lines had to much noise.   So don't tell me how long a download
>take with modem,  I know,  DAYS.

        So? That's more of a scheduling and contention issue with a
        potentially scarce resource. The actual download is still
        a matter of checking on it every so often and mebbe restarting
        it.

        These issues have been worked out for a long time.

        Now, if you use the net "too much" then you already have to deal
        with the contention issues involved with downloading CDs' over
        land lines.

[deletia]

        The whole point of computing is automation. Something that is
        automated can seriously be called tedious.

--

  In West Union, Ohio, No married man can go flying without his spouse
  along at any time, unless he has been married for more than 12 months.

  I remember Ulysses well...  Left one day for the post office to mail a letter,
  met a blonde named Circe on the streetcar, and didn't come back for 20 years.