  Re: Unix more secure, huh? (Matthias Warkus)

From: "James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:15:16 +0200

Are you sure it's an HP41CV ?  I still have mine from early 80's - even used
to write small programs for it.

James

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: The Linux Experience
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:20:55 -0000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:17:24 GMT, Jake Taense <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><snip all>
>
>Just a note: I'll avoid this thread now. I was unnecessarily confrontational
>to the responses (except for Jedi, whose opinion I have exactly no respect
>for).

        The fact that I fell for your baiting tactics, does not invalidate
        my point of view. The fact still remains that your axe grinding
        anecdote was flawed in a painfully obvious way.

>My apologies to anyone else I labelled badly.
>
>The story was one persons experience. I do not wish to be labelled anti-linux.
>I use it myself (when not at work), along with a host of open-source tools -
>that was not my intent.
>
>My point was that the documentation suffers everywhere. We use XFree86, but
>can't go to Xfree86 for documentation with any degree of reliability. We use

        This shows a fundemental misunderstanding of computing in general.
        Unless you are the one that did the system integration, you typically
        don't go to the component manufacturers when things go wrong. You
        go to the VAR. That's a great part of why they exist.

[deletia]

        Also, I don't think that it is at all intuitive for a novice end
        user (of any sort of device) to think that they should go to the
        equivalent of a component vendor rather than to the integrator.

        Besides, xfs isn't a part of Xfree to begin with.

--

  We're all in this alone.
                -- Lily Tomlin

  timesharing, n:
        An access method whereby one computer abuses many people.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming.  (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:20:10 -0600

Bob Germer wrote:

> On 09/19/2000 at 09:58 PM,
>    Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > In light of being unable to support your claims you name call.  I'm not
> > suprised, when unable to provide proof for claims the loser usually does
> > resort to name calling.  It's a sign of gross immaturity.  If you were
> > half the person you claim to be you'd be able to admit when you've been
> > wrong.  You obvious lies call into question the validity of any claim
> > you make.
>
> Been looking in the mirror, I see. Good for you.
>
> It's a true shame you have diminished the reputation of the University of
> Colorado to the point where our local guidance counsellors no longer
> recommend it to our high school seniors. They were truly appalled when
> they read the last 60 of your posts..

You're such an idiot Germer.  They'd be appaled at your not being able to prove what
you post.
You and Aaron both are cut from the same cloth.  I can do simple calculus which
apparently those
at Purdue can't.  Tell me Bob, did "the guidance counselors" stop recommending Purdue
since some
of it's graduates don't know the basic science they supposedly learned?  And tell me
what Idiot
counselors would judge a whole system on one person?  Crawl back in your hole.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:23:51 -0000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:30:53 -0400, Rich C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>[snip]
>
>> >Yeah, but the point is RH DOES support truetype....they just don't
>document
>> >well the fact that they do.
>>
>> ...and they "really" go out of their way to hide it too. I mean,
>> just how obscure can you be? An end user would have to go so far
>> as to enter truetype on Redht's support page. Geez, talk about
>> end user abuse.
>>
>> </sarcasm>
>
>I didn't say it was especially obscure either. All I said was a casual
>search on the RedHat site (not the support site) didn't turn up anything
>obvious.

        So? "Support" is the obvious place to look, not the frontpage.

--

  Last guys don't finish nice.
                -- Stanley Kelley, on the cult of victory at all costs

  Drink Canada Dry!  You might not succeed, but it *__is* fun trying.

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:46:43 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Mike Byrns in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >Hey Max.  How fast do you type?
>
> Pretty fast, obviously.  :-)  Its not really typing speed, so much as
> how fast I *think*, that enables me to keep up with a dozen random
> trolls at once, and still have time for a serious conversation or four.

Man, you must type fast.  I'm amazed at the fact that you've posted over
700 messages to such diverse forums as:

comp.os.linux.advocacy,
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,
comp.lang.java.advocacy,
alt.destroy.microsoft,
comp.os.os2.advocacy,
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,
alt.conspiracy.microsoft,
etc.

JUST THIS MONTH!

That's 700+ messages in 20 DAYS so you must average like 35 messages a
day.  Say a it takes you about 10 minutes to read all those groups and
craft each reply and you are looking at 350 minutes a day.  That's
almost SIX HOURS A DAY SEVEN DAYS A WEEK!

Assuming that you are not ripping your employer off by posting from work
that means that after 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of work you are
spending every spare waking moment on USENET bashing Microsoft!  That
leaves you two hours a day for basic life activities like eating,
bathing, voiding, etc.

You are so committed you ought to be.

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix more secure, huh?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:44:25 GMT

In article <8qas60$olv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8qaqv2$277$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <8qanvj$sl4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:8qakt5$r4e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<snip>

> > behind
Un*x

NOTHING
> > was
> > >
> > > What has the OS got to do with whether admins are capable enough
> > install
> > > current patches?
> >
> > Oh, I see, it's down to insulting *groups* of people. That's called
> > prejudical. And that make you OS bigots that make judgments about
> > people's skills based on the OS they use.
>
> I didn't insult anyone.  I said what OS an admin runs makes no
difference to
> whether they are competent enough to install patches.  If an admin is
> incompetent, they're incompetent, regardless of what the OS might be.
>

> > My statement still stands. To have a secure system you need to keep
up
> > with the patches no matter WHAT OS you use.
>
> Correct.  But you said you were talking about the OS, not the users.
I just
> pointed out that the OS has little to do with it, and the admins have
> everything to do with it.
>
> >There are bad sysadmins that
> > use Linux, Mac, Unix AND your religious holly MS OS. The fact that
SOME
> > bad Linux admins left SOME Linux servers vunerable is NOT a
refection of
> > *ALL* linux sysadmins OR the Linux OS.
>
> Correct.
>
> Feel free to take the following or as a personal insult if you wish,
but
> it's not intended as such.   You need to work on your comprehension
skills,
> and also to realise that people aren't trying to attack you all the
time.
> Essentially my post *agreed* with you, but you still chose to call me
an OS
> bigot.  I'm afraid I don't quite understand why that must be the
case.  Feel
> free to read my previous post again to see if you can explain why you
chose
> to fly off the handle.

Sorry, you are right. It was Stephen that was doing the prejudical
thing. I was not keeping track of who said what. I somehow got it in my
head that is was stephen I was replying to.

And I was not really clear as to what my objections were. So let me be
clear here:

If I were a Windows user, I would be a bit insulted in Stephen's
prejudical statement:

"Windows users are expected to be behind security patches,"

are *ALL* windows users EXPECTED to be behind in security patches???
REALLY?????

Stephen continues:

"what's funny is that the supposedly smarter Un*x admins
aren't all current neither. :)"

Stephen appears to say that ALL Un*x admins are *expected* or be smart
enough to be current on patches. That because SOME Un*x asmins are not
current, that makes Un*x admins as bad (in his eyes) as the Windows
admins that are NOT EXPECTED (his words) to be current with patches.

Are you a windows user? if yes, are you really expected to be behind in
your patches??????? Is Stephens statement a bit insulting to windows
users as a whole?

I am a Linux user. I am expected to, and try my best to have all
security pacthes installed on ALL of my systems. The fact that not *ALL*
Un*x admins have patches installed is NOT a reflection on *ALL* Un*x
admins as the style of his post would seem to emply.

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:49:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jake Taense) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >Hmmm...the problem seems to be with the user she went to for font
help

> >If this person really knew Linux, he/she would have known that RedHat
6.2's
> >font server already has support for TrueType fonts and that replacing
xfs
> >was NOT necessary. Instead, your friend should have read Donovan
Rebbechi's
> >excellent Font HOWTO:
>
> It's very possible to know linux just fine, and not know the ins and
outs of
> one particular distribution. RedHat 6.2 uses a 3.3.x-based Xfree86. My
> understanding is that only from 4.0 onwards is truetype a core part of
the
> server. I understand his mistake.

Then this would be a Redhat issue and not a Linux as a whole issue.

The tile of the post should have read: The REDHAT experiance.

comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:01:40 GMT

On 09/20/2000 at 12:20 PM,
   Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> You're such an idiot Germer.  They'd be appaled at your not being able
> to prove what you post. You and Aaron both are cut from the same cloth.
> I can do simple calculus which apparently those at Purdue can't.

I seriously doubt it. That claim appears just as false as all your other
false claims such as half of Canada being covered by an ice sheet in a
decade.

> Tell me Bob, did "the guidance counselors" stop recommending Purdue since
> some of it's graduates don't know the basic science they supposedly
> learned?  And tell me what Idiot counselors would judge a whole system
> on one person

Nope. There was nothing in Aaron's post which in any way diminished our
high opinion of Perdue.

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:03:15 -0500

You mean Jeff Goldblume?  The same Jeff Goldblume that has appeared in
several Apple Computer television commercials?  The one that's on the
Apple payroll?  Do you know that Apple pays big bucks in hollywood to
get it's computers in "cool" movies like Independence Day?  I find it
amusing how the Apple and Linux folks are so sucked in by ads and hype
and don't even seem to realize their thoughts are not their own. :-)

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:06:32 -0600

Bob Germer wrote:

> On 09/20/2000 at 12:20 PM,
>    Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > You're such an idiot Germer.  They'd be appaled at your not being able
> > to prove what you post. You and Aaron both are cut from the same cloth.
> > I can do simple calculus which apparently those at Purdue can't.
>
> I seriously doubt it. That claim appears just as false as all your other
> false claims such as half of Canada being covered by an ice sheet in a
> decade.

Prove what you post.  I never said what you've quoted which makes you a liar.  Take me
to court
for libel unless you can prove your statement.  I did make a fool out of Aaron talking
about
exponential functions when he tried to apply them to chemical reactions.

> > Tell me Bob, did "the guidance counselors" stop recommending Purdue since
> > some of it's graduates don't know the basic science they supposedly
> > learned?  And tell me what Idiot counselors would judge a whole system
> > on one person
>
> Nope. There was nothing in Aaron's post which in any way diminished our
> high opinion of Perdue.

Too bad you can't spell the school.  The fact that he can't prove claims and can't
undertand the
math that he supposedly learned says a lot about the school with your logic.  You cut
out the
part about people backing me up and the claim about being an admin.  Stop lying Bob.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Majka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:50:00 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> I said almost because their MIGHT be one or two
> pieces of software that weren't for Windows, but
> I couldn't find 'em.
>
> http://www.spaceref.com/shuttle/computer/spoc/
>
> (click on a few of the links/screenshots on the left)
>
> They even use Windows (NT apparently) to control
> life-support systems including warning and
> monitoring systems:
>
> http://www.spaceref.com/shuttle/computer/spoc/cautwarn.html

Yeah, right.  Windows to control life-support?  Try custom
all-the-way...

> Here's an example of one of the three network diagrams
> they have for the space shuttle and space station:
>
> http://www.spaceref.com/shuttle/computer/106.LAN.nominal.html
>
> At least a few of them are windows, but, judging by the
> software it says the no-named-OS computers are running,
> it appears they are Windows as well.
>
> No mention of Linux, MacOS, or *laf* OS/2
>
> Guess they actually want some productivity. They also
> trust their lives to it because they know that when it's
> properly set up, NT can be the most stable OS available
> (2nd only to Win2k, of course).

That's funny.  In the time I've been here I have YET to
see windows used in any real-time application.  UNIX
is everywhere (SGI and Sun primarily), some RTOSs such
as VxWorks, LynxOS, and PowerMAX_OS, a suprising number
of Macs are around, and the usual Windows box when
someone needs a generic computer.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Majka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:04:29 -0500

Timberwoof wrote:

> It would be interesting to find out what modifications they make to the
> OS they load on these computers. What systems do they disable? Do they
> have that stupid paper clip popping up during landing to ask whether
> Internet Explorer should be the default browser?

During landing the thing would most likely be stowed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:21:54 GMT

I have my HP 41CV Serial Number 2525S42272 right here in front of me,
complete with the HP 41 Advantage Pack module. Bought it circa 1983
and use it all the time. The original batteries finally quit LAST YEAR
1999!

That has to be a record of some sort?

Only program I ever wrote was a simple Amortization Program.

It's too bad HP isn't what it used to be :(

Claire

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:36:54 +0100

Mike Byrns wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>You mean Jeff Goldblume?  The same Jeff Goldblume that has appeared in
>several Apple Computer television commercials?  The one that's on the
>Apple payroll?  Do you know that Apple pays big bucks in hollywood to
>get it's computers in "cool" movies like Independence Day?  I find it
>amusing how the Apple and Linux folks are so sucked in by ads and hype
>and don't even seem to realize their thoughts are not their own. :-)

And windows users never get suckered by ads I suppose and don't rush to
upgrade
their operating system every 2 or 3 years just because an advert tells them
to and
use it because they think it's the best and not because someone told them to
use it
or because it came bundled with the machine (P.S. I am being sarcastic
here).

------------------------------

From: Peter Ammon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:37:03 -0400

Mike Byrns wrote:

> You mean Jeff Goldblume?  The same Jeff Goldblume that has appeared in
> several Apple Computer television commercials?  The one that's on the
> Apple payroll?  Do you know that Apple pays big bucks in hollywood to
> get it's computers in "cool" movies like Independence Day?

I don't believe you.  Can you back this up?

-Peter

------------------------------

From: Mark Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:33:02 -0500

Bob Germer wrote:

> Nope. There was nothing in Aaron's post which in any way diminished our
> high opinion of Perdue.

It's Purdue.  The university is named for John Purdue, who donated the land for its
establishment
back in the 1860s.

--
Mark Kelley
Purdue University

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:37:33 +0200

It was the Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:37:12 GMT...
...and A transfinite number of monkeys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> trojan du jour?

What you mean is a Trojan horse. Inside of a Trojan horse, there are
strictly no Trojans; indeed, there are Greeks.

So, the correct expression shall either be "Trojan horse du jour" or
"Greek du jour", but "Trojan du jour" is wrong.

mawa
--
Dead Mule  |  Puke                |  Hell-out-for-Noon City
One Eye    |  Shitbritches Creek  |